Sunday, April 20, 2014

Ready For Take Off... I think

I can not believe I am here. 
It is currently 10:50 pm on Easter Sunday. I am winding down from today's family festivities and still trying to recover from the ridiculous amount of delicious home cooking I ate today. I catch myself trying to take all of the feelings of home and my house in for the last 10 hours I'll be here! My husband and brother sit on the couch behind me making small talk and laughing, the dishwasher is humming in the kitchen, and my dog is snoring on the couch beside me. My suitcase is packed, my passport and wallet are ready to go, and the last thing I have to do is download a book or two to my Kindle. This is happening!
Am I really THIS brave?
I keep asking myself this question and immediately follow it up by reminding myself that it is only 3 weeks... 25 days. I can do anything for only 25 days... right? This will be the longest period of time I will spend away from my husband (who is my BEST friend), 3 weekends without mom's cooking on Sunday and true southern sweet tea, and 25 days without my dog.
As I continue to grow up and experience new things in this life... I am finding that the scariest things are the things unknown. I think back to moving to a brand new state, city, and school when I was 13 years old. I had walked in to a whole new life where I knew absolutely no one.  What came of this scary time? Friends that have lasted for eleven years now, memories that I would relive ANY DAY of the week, and a boyfriend who was sent from Virginia by God for me. Coming to Western Kentucky at 19 and newly married, I was scared to death and didn't have a clue as to how we would live and survive on our own, much less how we would get through school. What came of this unknown, scary time? Friends that have lasted 4 years now, memories in the best little house/apartment (growing up and bonding with my husband - learning how to live together, how to rely on each other, and how to be what each other needs) that I would relive ANY DAY of the week, and a wonderful sorority of sisters that were sent by God for me.
It's a first, for sure!
This is something no one in my immediate family has done before! I will go places and see things that I have only seen in movies or read about in books. I am getting ready to live 25 days of life in a completely different world than the one I have been used to for 24 years! I will live in a different type of area, live on a different time schedule, eat differently, and communicate differently. Curiosity, at this point is KILLING me. I hope that I have packed all the right things, prepared for all different types of situations, I hope that my students are as excited to meet me as I am them, and that my family loves me like I think I will love them!

But... most of all, I hope that when I get off the plane and to my new home from school... when I'm in my bedroom alone, sitting on my bed and THERE for 25 days... that I will be able to lay back on my bed and know that this 3 weeks is going to cause me to bond with friends that will last, memories that I'll want to relive ANY DAY of the week, and a second family that was sent by God for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment